Read Write Inc
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a literacy programme developed by Ruth Miskin and published by Oxford University Press. It is taught in over 5000 schools in the United Kingdom, making it the country’s most popular way for children to learn to read using phonics.
In the programme children learn sounds and the letters that represent them, and how to form the letters. Then, they read books written using only the letters they have learnt (and a small number of separately taught ‘tricky words’). This gives the children plenty of early success and builds up their reading confidence.
Read Write Inc. Phonics includes lots of useful kits for parents as well as classroom resources. Our reading and writing kits have been developed for parents who want to support their child’s phonics learning at home. You can use them to systematically teach all of the common sounds in the English language, helping your child to recognise the sounds and then to ‘sound-blend’ them into words for reading. Children become fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
Info for parents
Free e book library
New Phonics lessons every weekday on YouTube
To help children learning to read at home during school closure, we are streaming phonics, reading and spelling lessons every weekday on our YouTube channel.
Each lesson is ten to fifteen minutes long and available for 24 hours.
From 1st June:
All lessons will be available at 9.30 am.
Set 1, 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will restart.
Set 2 and 3 Speed Sounds lessons will include new words for reading and spelling.
New daily films:
- Read longer words: for children who can read Set 3 sounds and words confidently.
- Read Red Words 1: for children who are reading Red, Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Reception.
- Read Red Words 2: for children who are reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. Many children are able to read these in Y1.
- Read and Hold a Sentence 1 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Green, Purple, Pink and Orange Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing with Set 1 sounds confidently and learning Set 2 sounds.)
- Read and Hold a Sentence 2 (from 15th June): reading and writing practice for children reading Yellow, Blue and Grey Read Write Inc. Storybooks. (For children reading and writing words with Set 2 sounds confidently and learning Set 3 sounds.)
Guidance explaining Red Words and Hold a Sentence can be found on the home reading page.
Speed Sounds Set 1 - for children in Nursery and Reception and children who are new to English
- Set 1 Speed Sounds
- Set 1 Word Time
- Set 1 Spelling
Speed Sounds Set 2 - for children in Reception that can read Set 1 Speed Sounds and for children in Year 1 and 2
- Set 2 Speed Sounds and Word Time
- Set 2 Spelling
Speed Sounds Set 3 - for children in Year 1 and 2 that can read Set 2 Speed Sounds
- Set 3 Speed Sounds and Word Time
- Set 3 Spelling
Don't worry if you miss a lesson. Once each set has been shown, we will replay one a day from each set.
For free Read Write Inc. Phonics eBooks, activities and advice, visit Oxford Owl for Home: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/read-write-inc-home
MORE GREAT WEBSITES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja7ISuDkWw0&feature=youtu.be (FLOELLA BENJAMIN!)
The Tess and Hal comic strips include alien words as part of the stories. These fun adventures are a great way to practise reading . These stories contain the first phonic sounds . The fifth strip introduces the phonemes ‘ay’ and ‘ar’. Worksheets accompany each comic strip in which the child finds the word using the picture and copies it down, then writing a sentence with two simple prompts.